Mandatory Entry Level Driver Training
Upon successful completion of this course you will have acquired the knowledge and skills to safely and efficiently operate a tractor/trailer vehicle and earn your Class 01 Driver’s License. Your training will meet the Mandatory Entry Level Driver Training(MELT) requirements and exceed industry standards .
98% job placement rate for our students
Entry Level Driver Training is a new program for commercial driver training beginning in 2021. See details below.
Training is ongoing and courses are offered on a continuous basis.
Fox Professional Driving Training Centers LTD offers Class 1 Programs to meet your individual needs. We are approved and registered with ICBC, and employ licensed knowledgeable and highly qualified instructors. Training is ongoing and courses are offered on a continuous basis.
- Minimum Age: 18 years
- Driver’s Abstract and Prescreening: Obtained by verbal request at a BC Access Center at no charge.
- Class 1 Learner’s Licence: Study the “Driving Commercial Vehicles” manual which is available at your local ICBC Driver Services Center or Services BC Center Office at no charge. If you require help in obtaining your Learner’s Licence we offer Classroom Theory. Licensing requires a knowledge exam and there will be a $15.00 fee for this exam. Any outstanding fees and/or fines owed to ICBC must be paid.
- Government Certified Air Brakes Course: 16 hour course if taking Driver Training. When course requirements are concluded you must write the Qualifying Knowledge Exam at Service BC Centre within the specified amount of days. There will be a $15.00 fee for this exam.
Detailed information is provided on each of the courses listed below.
Click on a course button below to view more information.
MELT Program (Basic)
Mandatory Entry Level Driver Training (MELT)
- 40 hrs classroom
- 60 hrs 1-on-1 “in-truck” instruction
- 40 hrs Yard Time / Off-road chain-up
- uncoupling & coupling
- backing procedures
- 16 hrs Air Brakes
- 8 hrs Load Security
- 8 hrs of Service / ELD Logbooks
- 8 hrs TDG
- 8 hrs Fire Extinguisher Training
- 8 hrs Level 1 First Aid
- 8 hrs Fork Lift Training
- Cost: $15,000.00
You Will Learn:
- Log Books
- Driving Observation,
- Cornering and Set-Up
- Signal Timing
- Proper Gear Selection
- Stopping Distance
- Different Shifting Techniques
- Shifting on Mountainous Terrain
- Proper Use of Engine Brake
- Basic Maintenance
- Highway Driving
- Scale Etiquette
- Mechanical Inspection
- Tire Change
MELT Mentorship Program
You will receive:
- includes everything in our Basic Melt Program
- 12 weeks of over-the-road training
- job placement after successful course completion for eligible students
- Port Pass
- Cost: $24,500
View job placement program details and our participating job partners